Tips for Silage Films
1. Store the roll in a horizontal position on an even surface. Do not remove the protective film before using the silage sheet. If you do not use the whole roll at once, store the opened roll in a dark place, protected from sunlight or wrap the roll again into the protective film. Handle the roll with care during storage and transportation. The information on the label will help resolve any issues experienced with the film.
2. Use suitable equipment when unwinding the roll, keep the silage sheet well off the ground and away from any sharp objects. Unwind and unfold the silage sheet carefully.
3. Ensure a clean surface before filling the clamp. Dirt will affect the quality of the silage. After cleaning we advise using RaniSidewall film. This film protects your concrete walls against acids and protects the crop from oxygen penetrating the concrete wall.
4. In a silo with concrete walls, we advise you to fill the clamp in thin layers of silage. To get the best compression, fill the silo higher at the sides than the middle.
5. Once you are above the walls, form a gentle rise to the centre to enable water to drain.
6. We strongly recommend using our RaniCover underlay film. Correctly used it will improve the quality of your feed while also giving you an extra insurance against possible damage to the silage sheet.
7. Fold the RaniSidewall film on top of the RaniCover, to act as extra protection in the most sensitive areas of the clamp. The correct width of RaniSidewall is 2x the wall height.
8. Cover the clamp with an appropriate silage film. To find a suitable product see our range of silage films.
9. To protect the silage sheet against small holes caused by animals, we recommend the use of a protective net. After covering the clamp we strongly recommend checking the film for possible damage.
10. For optimal preservation use our barrier films. The following options are available: RaniPrO₂ with a normal silage film or RaniCover with RaniSilO₂.