The Rani Story

An International family business

The Rani story began in 1955, when the company was founded in Terjärv in post war Ostrobothnia, Finland by the Ahlbäck family. Since then, this family owned company has grown into a key player in the global packaging industry. The company continues to be owned by the Ahlbäck family.

1955

Nils Ahlbäck founds the company Rani Plast together with his brother Alf Ahlbäck and partners Runar Svartsjö and Ingmar Albäck. Runar Svartsjö and Alf, Nils, and Ingmar uses the first letters of their first names to formulate the company name.

1971

The Lappfors factory, close to Terjärv, is rebuilt in the local youth centre. The factory specialises in manufacturing plastic bags on rolls for households.

1979

Construction of Rani Plast’s flagship factory in Bjölas begins. The factory has since grown into the largest and most modern plastic production unit in the Nordic countries, with an annual capacity of more than 100 000 tons.

1983

A electrical insulation factory in Tervakoski is acquired. The Tervakoski Film trademark is today owned by the joint-venture Terichem a.s.

1984

One of Finland's oldest prefabricated house constructors, Teri-Hus, is acquired. Teri-Hus is located in the same village of Terjärv and provides high quality prefabricated house solutions custom designed for a range of varying client needs.

1991

Art-Pak, a major manufacturers of timber wrapping in the Nordic countries, is acquired. The film is manufactured and printed in Teerijärvi and converted at Art-Pak’s plant in Myrskylä.

1995

A joint venture with the Slovakia-based Chemosvit Group is established. The joint-venture Terichem manufactures electrical insulation film under the Tervakoski Film trademark.

2002

Ownership of Rani Plast transfers to Mikael & Ulrika Ahlbäck, who maintain the family tradition and continue to play active roles in Rani Plast’s daily operations.

2004

HP Plast is merged with Rani Plast’s Lappfors unit. The result is HP Rani Plast, which manufactures freezer and bin liners for household use.

2012

Rani Plast has been supplying film to the Soviet Union since the 1960´s. In 2012, Rani Plast starts its own plastic film production in Kaluga, 180km south west of Moscow. The plant is one of the most modern production units in Russia, with an annual capacity of around 16,000 tons.

2015

Jari Palosaari is appointed Managing Director of Ab Rani Plast Oy. Jari has been with the company for over 20 years and joined Rani Plast as Production Director in 1996.

2017

The world's largest 7-layer film blowing line is launched in our Bjölas factory, making film up to 22m wide for the global agricultural market.

2020

Rani Plast takes a major step towards greener printing, investing in new machinery capable of printing flexible packaging up to 2.65m wide – the widest in northern Europe.